Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day





Happy Mother's Day to all the moms who are reading this, especially my friends who share this first Mother's Day with me and friends who are going through difficult times with their own families.


I had a delightful weekend. Saturday, got to walk to the first Berwyn Farmer's market of the year with William, Ben and Rudy (the dog). This has been a tradition for William and me for years, going back to when we lived in Chicago. Went to visit mom and Bruce with Ben in the early afternoon for lunch and a quick photo session. This was the first drive Ben and I took by ourselves that was a good distance (45 minutes). As a church musician, William had to work Saturday afternoon. The day ended with a going-away party for my cousin Kevin who has enlisted in the marines. It was fun to introduce Ben to family members who hadn't met him yet. Also fun to see both parents in one day (a rare treat).


Mother's Day itself included church this morning, lots of relaxing on the couch, and the three of us are about to go out to dinner. We're very lucky that Ben is good in the car and so far has slept through every restaurant outing.


I've begun to realize in the last few days that I'm getting in a groove taking care of Ben. I have little to compare it to but he is a very easy-going baby. Going back to my kindergarten job last week made me tired, but got us on a schedule. I now have a regular time to take a shower and get myself going and Ben's feeding schedule feels more structured as he gets fed every morning at 6:30 since I have to leave right after that. It also provides additional daddy/Ben bonding time. They spend the morning together while I'm at work. Most of the time when he's crying, I'm able to figure out what's going on. It used to seem impossible before. I'm sure things will change, but I'm enjoying it for now!


2 comments:

Unknown said...

A very Happy Mother's Day to you, Jen! What a Wonderful smile on both of you. Sounds like things are improving as you and William get to know Ben and he gets to know you both...it only gets better from here!

Julieanna said...

Happy first Mother's Day!